Monday, April 13, 2009

Healthy Baby








This morning we visited the Temple of Literature, a Confucian temple as well as the first national university of Vietnam, that dates back to 1056.  It was a beautiful and peaceful place as the pictures here show.  It is getting hotter each day here with rising humidity so we could only last about an hour before completely melting down.  Spring here is ending and the unbearably hot summer begins at the end of April. This afternoon Bizou and I went to the International SOS clinic for her physical exam.   Babies must get a fairly clean bill of health before receiving their U.S. visa, so I was anxious to clear this hurdle.  She's had a drippy nose for a couple of days and I was praying it wasn't an ear infection or something that would delay travel. We saw a wonderful French doctor who found her to be very healthy with this quick exam.  She weighs a smidge over 18 lbs, a pound of which I swear we've put on her in the past five days.  She is 71 cm. long and her skin looks great, vital signs strong, lungs clear, heart rate perfect, throat, ears, everything was perfect.  We found out that our visa interview is tomorrow afternoon and after that we wait anywhere from a couple of hours to 24 hours to receive her visa, at which point we are free to come home.  That means we could come home early, but it's not worth it for one or two days because it costs more to change the tickets than the charge for the hotel.  Plus there's more sightseeing we hope to do. Tonight we're meeting two other families at the Green Tangerine, a restaurant we've heard rave reviews about.  I cannot believe our time here is drawing to a close.  We are incredibly excited to be in our home again with family and friends, but I admit I feel a surprising sadness about taking Beatrice away from her homeland.  We are strongly determined at this moment to return with her someday.

p.s.  Bizou has her first English word...."Mama"....she says it loudly and often as she pats my face or body.  It's a real "awwwwww" (except in the middle of the night which is her favorite time to talk!) 

4 comments:

Marianne said...

So happy the physical went well. I have so many questions. Do you notice big changes with B as far as bonding etc. She seems to look so bonded with both of you. Does she get sad if you walk away from her etc. Michelle, honestly she is perfect, you all seem so natural, like you are on a vacation with your daughter that you have had for months, Bravo. I see your Mom every day when I see you with B. I cannot wait to start coming on Sundays for pancakes etc!!!!!!!!!!! The new Jeanne Era has begun

Dawn said...

Glad to hear that she is healthy and doing so well.

Anonymous said...

She really does look healthy, so it's great news to hear the physical went well. I've been showing Ben the pictures of Beatrice, but he has a hard time with her name, so he has taken to calling her "Cute Baby B". That works, too! Enjoy the rest of your trip. Love Nicole

Margo Little said...

Horray!!! One more (big) hurdle over. I'm so glad she has a clean bill of health one less thing to worry about. Yet a lifetime of worries has just begun.
The pictures are so fun! Sadie's favorite is one of the movies.....I want to see the one of "frowing up". It took me a minute but the one of you throwing B up in the air. I think we watched it 5 times yesterday. Continue to enjoy....thanks for keeping us posted....Margo