We leave the hotel in about 13 hours, and I am up enjoying some quiet time while the rest of my family is still sound asleep. We had a great night last night at Suzanne Watzman's place in the West Lake section of the city. She has a beautiful home and daughter and her cook whipped us a delicious meal for us too. She is an artist whose main home is in Cambridge, MA but she spends time intermittently in Hanoi trying to get her business going of making gorgeous bags. We hope to see her again today, as Anthony is helping her out with getting some advertising going. We started packing last night and I can't believe it but we somehow have replaced pretty much every square inch of space in our luggage that I thought would be vacated by all the gifts and donations we brought and left here. Guess the shopping I can do today is automatically limited. While I'd hoped to go out to the Van Phuc Silk Village, 15 km out of town, I don't think it'll happen. I guess we'll stay close to the hotel today, try to nap, do a final trip to the lake, and go around the neighborhood with our video camera trying to catch some sights and sounds both for our memories and to share with Bizou. I can't tell you how melancholy we are to leave here. We were sitting down in the hotel lounge yesterday at the table near the window which is right on the street and I was watching all the activity on the other side of the glass and I just started to cry. I am so in love with this city and its people and its difficult-yet-simple way of life. One of the waitresses who is so kind and loves to hold Beatrice while we eat came over to us and asked, in her very shy English, when we were leaving. We told her "tomorrow" and she had a tear in her eyes. She mustered up the courage and words to say what dozens of others have said "She is lucky, lucky baby." We again repeated that we are luck too, all three of us are lucky, and she smiled and walked away. It is so hard not to give all the remaining money away to the staff here who works so hard and is probably severely underpaid by our standards, although I think a hotel job is a fairly good one overall, to the people on the street who sit outside their stalls twelve or fifteen hours a day hoping someone will come in and spend a few dong each day, to the disfigured folks hanging out by the church with an inverted non la (conical hat) hoping a passerby will drop some coins or dollars. For a million reasons that are mostly based on luck, we have so much of what they have to work so hard to get a morsel of, money. But, believe me, they have a sense of community, love for one another, and knowledge of hard-work that I can only dream about. We will do our very best to try to pass on these values to Beatrice, but the reality is that they are hard to come by when one wants for very little. I asked Anthony if he thought it possible to live successfully and happily in both this culture and at home, and we decided it would be very difficult. Something must be sacrificed for the other. There's little doubt that were Beatrice to stay in an orphange, her life here would be difficult and her options totally limited. But I do not for one minute believe that the average child here in Hanoi has any lower quality of life than if s/he lived in the U.S. Assuming s/he were loved, fed, and sent to school, and had enough money to cover basic medical care, then I don't think it's a better life, only a different life. I could go on and on but I keep editing and rewriting and much of this is too personal for a blog, so I'll end with a list of things I'll miss most about Vietnam:
-a nightlife that never ends and an endless list of things to do;
-watching people of all different "classes" and means mingle together on the street;
-the way the traffic appears to be totally chaotic, but ends up having the grace and movement of an aquarium that I could watch all day;
-the way men's belts go all the way around them to the middle of their back;
-muzak;
-the perfect safety and trust that exists everywhere we go;
-the architecture featuring tall and very narrow buildings, many stories high;
-the scooters and the resourcefulness people show in carrying everything from their entire families to chickens to ladders to a generator on them;
-the food, especially egg rolls for breakfast, and drinking coconut water right from the fruit;
-seeing an item being made in the same shop you're buying it from;
-seeing people in long pants, long sleeves and a jacket on an 85-degree humid day;
-the Vietnamese "squat" which I may have been able to do at one point in my life, but never again;
-the genuine love and care in a stranger's face as they look at my daughter; and
-knowing that at any moment Beatrice can be surrounded by faces that look like her own.
Here are some photos from our dinner last night, of the bib that I'd yet to put on her, and of my favorite moment of this entire trip, the first time she was placed in my arms.
6 comments:
She will love Vietnam through and because of you. Without a doubt you will bring her back again someday, and as she gets older, she will wish to experience it again as an adult. You leave today and bring her home, a home she has never experienced but will grow to love because it is a place her parents are in love with. Your community will become her community. She will never lack for love, companionship, or guidance. I wish you luck on your long journey home, but you need no luck as you enter into the real journey of being a family. Beatrice (Cute Baby B as Ben has named her) has completed you, and you and Anthony will live each day in pure delight. Love Nicole
You are so poetic in your writing.It is so fun to read and be absorbed in what you are experiencing.
If you are clever in scrapbooking too this would be awesome scrapbook material. Have a safe trip home knowing that someday you will be able to go back and enjoy this wonderful place again with Beatrice. Thank you again for taking so much of your time there to keep us in the loop.....I feel truly honored. Lots of Love, Margo and the rest of the little Littles
I love you Rock!! Don't worry B will be happy in Putnam. Just as you and Anthony see no color, no society class etc., neither will she. I do not think she will seek out people that look like her but rather people that treat her as you do and have the same morals. That might be a difficult task as there is no place like home and no one like family!!
Michelle and Anthony, I am sure it is with reluctance and pain-staking emotion that you leave Vietnam. Forever, it will be burned on your brain---the feelings of meeting your daughter for the first time, the smell of the food, the heat, and the love you have shared with each other, with Beatrice, and with the community cannot be erased. Hold tight, though. Putnam is a great place to be and your family is unbelievable!!! We have enjoyed living your journey through this blog and are thankful that you take the time to send pictures to everyone. We can't wait to see you and welcome Beatrice. God has blessed you with a beautiful daughter. I remember when you were training for the marathon and you kept listening to the song by Train, "Calling All Angels." There is still relevance I believe in the lyrics ..."I want a reason for the way things have to be..." That reason---Beatrice Foronda.
Michelle,
As your trip draws to a close, you embark upon your family's new life. As you leave that dreamy part of the Orient, an ancient land of mystery, of plumed palms, rose-tinted skies, and incommunicable charm, don't ever lose the enchantment and appreciation you've gained for the land, its people, its history and culture. Just as they are, and have been for millenia, a part of the millions of hearts living there, so now they are a part of your family and your family, a part of it, woven together into a new reality of which you, Anthony and now Little Bizou are both beneficiary and emissary.
Travel well!
Love,
Moe
You will never forget the people of Vietnam and all you have seen while you are there. It will forever change your life and how you view your life.The people and their well being will always be in your heart.
My heart broke when my adventure ended also. I have no doubt in my mind I will be back.
Good luck on your travels home!
Your family is beautiful and I am so glad you finally have your baby girl in your arms.
Heather
P.S.Please help me build a house for a needy family in Vietnam. Every $10.00 donation gives you a chance to WIN a double/single stroller ($250 Value). The real gift is the difference you will make in the life of a family in need. Please come take a look and view the videos of their current living conditions:
http://wwwjourneytoourdestiny.blogspot.com/2009/04/i-have-decided-what-my-next-fund.html
Post a Comment