We had a wonderful dinner last night and Bizou fell asleep in Papa's sling on the way home. He undressed her and handed her to me still sound asleep in the tub. She woke up enough to be bathed and had a bottle, then fell asleep easily by 10:00. I woke up about an hour ago and had a moment of panic a la Arora Greenway in Terms of Endearment. I nearly woke her up trying to make sure she was still alive! Finally, I heard that sweet breath and said a prayer of thanks. I couldn't get back to sleep but she and Anthony are still fast asleep. This is the first night in over ten days that I got more than 5 consecutive hours of sleep. Of course, just as she starts to figure things out with us and nighttime, we're going to subject her to an 11-hour time change which will throw her off again, but at least we know we can expect her to sleep through the night once that next adjustment is complete. Here is another photo from the Temple of Literature yesterday of Bizou just hanging out in her stroller, sagging from the heat, and one of Sula the morning we left. Anthony found that one in iPhoto yesterday while reviewing pictures and called me in and it almost made me cry. She looks like she's just waiting for us to come home. Sula was our first adoption, as a rescue dog of 2 years old, and while the comparisons between dog and human are obviously limited, I'm amazed at how much Sula has taught us that is helping us now. Beatrice's attachment to us is progressing much more quickly, but she and Sula both had that same look toward me day #1, complete aloofness, and early photos of her show a different dog than now, just as Bizou's pics, at least to me, have changed each day. Her face becomes more alive and expressive every single day. She truly is a girl of many faces, and the folks at the SOS clinic told me we have a future actress on our hands. She loves looking at herself in the mirror and knows full well the power of the looks that she can give. Someone handed down a "Drama Queen" bib to me and I gave it away, aware of self-fulfilling prophecies, but I chuckled as I remembered that yesterday.
This blog started as an online journal of our trip to Hanoi, Vietnam to pick up our daughter Beatrice (Hanh Minh), and now chronicles our journey through life together as a family of three....
Monday, April 13, 2009
Guess who slept through the night?
We had a wonderful dinner last night and Bizou fell asleep in Papa's sling on the way home. He undressed her and handed her to me still sound asleep in the tub. She woke up enough to be bathed and had a bottle, then fell asleep easily by 10:00. I woke up about an hour ago and had a moment of panic a la Arora Greenway in Terms of Endearment. I nearly woke her up trying to make sure she was still alive! Finally, I heard that sweet breath and said a prayer of thanks. I couldn't get back to sleep but she and Anthony are still fast asleep. This is the first night in over ten days that I got more than 5 consecutive hours of sleep. Of course, just as she starts to figure things out with us and nighttime, we're going to subject her to an 11-hour time change which will throw her off again, but at least we know we can expect her to sleep through the night once that next adjustment is complete. Here is another photo from the Temple of Literature yesterday of Bizou just hanging out in her stroller, sagging from the heat, and one of Sula the morning we left. Anthony found that one in iPhoto yesterday while reviewing pictures and called me in and it almost made me cry. She looks like she's just waiting for us to come home. Sula was our first adoption, as a rescue dog of 2 years old, and while the comparisons between dog and human are obviously limited, I'm amazed at how much Sula has taught us that is helping us now. Beatrice's attachment to us is progressing much more quickly, but she and Sula both had that same look toward me day #1, complete aloofness, and early photos of her show a different dog than now, just as Bizou's pics, at least to me, have changed each day. Her face becomes more alive and expressive every single day. She truly is a girl of many faces, and the folks at the SOS clinic told me we have a future actress on our hands. She loves looking at herself in the mirror and knows full well the power of the looks that she can give. Someone handed down a "Drama Queen" bib to me and I gave it away, aware of self-fulfilling prophecies, but I chuckled as I remembered that yesterday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Don't get too comfortable--it's been three years and I am still sleep deprived.
By the way, the boys wanted to remind you that at next year's egg hunt they are looking forward to a little competition. Bring it on cousin, Baby Bea.
Yes, the comparisons between dogs and humans are VERY limited.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man." ~Mark Twain
Has Beatrice had any contact with dogs on your trip? That might be something to put on the agenda so when she meets Sula it won't be such a shock. She has changed so much, and yes as all mothers can read faces, B's is changing. She looks more relaxed and comfortable. What an incredible journey this has been and I only jumped on in the last leg!! She will love her new home as everyone does the instant they enter your house. It oozes happiness, a place where one is loved unconditionally and without false pretense. Honestly, it reminds me of Freemont street, a place you could always go to and leave feeling like you are loved and need not a worry in the world.
Once B gets home I think you will see major changes as she settles in her new environment. You guys made it and with flying colors!
Yes Sleep is a precious thing......someday I'll get enough. Good Luck with that!
Post a Comment