Sunday, October 30, 2011

More Trick Than Treat

We went to bed to snow on Thursday and awoke to a layer of ice and snow on the grass and trees. Beatrice thought it was the best thing in the world and had a "snow cube" for breakfast. I had pretty much the opposite feeling about the snow and stayed in denial about it, refusing even to photograph it for posterity. I've lived here for my entire life and only remember flurries once in October. Once I got to school people told me, to my utter disbelief, that a major storm was headed our way for Saturday. Friday afternoon Beatrice couldn't sleep. Combo of Halloween party that morning in school (I found out Thursday night that candy corn makes my daughter psychotic) and anticipation of downtown trick-or-treating.

Finally she settled in for a pre-winter's nap....
After dinner, Angelina Ballerina made her debut (with a Chicago Cub as her rescort):
As the temperature dropped, pink head and hand coverings were added:
We trick-or-treated for about an hour downtown, then went to Louise's, Dad's, and the Fulco house before calling it a night. The next day we went back to Fulcos for lunch and pumpkin carving:
Beatrice was more along the lines of "consultant" than laborer:
This is the only moment all afternoon her hand entered the pumpkin, and she did so with a spoon and removed about 3 seeds:

Finished products:
The snow started to fall and when we got home she started dancing in the yard:
There's nothing like those first flakes of the season when you're a child:
We lost power a few hours later, panicked and packed up to sleep at the Fulcos, but then the power came back on in the evening so we returned home and hunkered down for the big storm. Here's what I awoke to in the morning:
Only about 4-5 inches of heavy wet snow fell, not nearly what was forecast, but enough to put 820,000 CT customers out of power again! Beatrice meanwhile was in heaven. I mean dress-up, a pumpkin full of candy, and snow all in one weekend?
This snowball at the top of the photo did NOT hit the photographer:
Before most of the snow melted away, we were able to make this snow ghost:
And now school has been cancelled for tomorrow and who knows how long after while the trees are removed from the roads and power is restored. We are so fortunate to have electricity this time! Tomorrow we look forward to handing out chocolate to the trick-or-treaters, something we've never done since buying this home almost six years ago.

1 comment:

MSChaz said...

"Happy Halloween!" from Rachel. (p.s. I have snow envy!!!)