We had a great time in New York City, despite the cold and despite getting lost in NJ, circling around a 5-mile radius of Newark Airport for two and a half hours searching for our hotel. We met up with Anthony's cousins Liza and Tony and their families, and the group of fourteen of us walked 5th Avenue from Times Square to Rockefeller Center, visited St. Patrick's Cathedral and, the next day, some of us headed to the Children's Museum of Manhattan. Beatrice was bundled up like the Michelin Man in an effort to keep her warm. Since we're home, we've been laying low due to a combination of not feeling great, more snow falling, and being just plain worn out. I took down the tree when we returned and cleaned house trying to get a semblance of normalcy again. Anthony and I enjoyed a quiet New Year's Eve, watching a video, and heading to bed before ten o'clock. Such is our lives these days and believe me, that's not a complaint. Yesterday we went to church, then went to my aunt's home for a couple of hours, then visited some friends here in town. I'm overwhelmed by the thought of going back to work in 2 days. It's been a wonderful vacation. Beatrice has changed so much in a couple of weeks. She has gone with the flow with all of the people around, crowds in the city, changes of schedule, naps on the fly, different foods, everything. The only bad part is that she's completely out of the habit of napping twice a day or napping in her crib. Sleeping with Lolo and in carseats has really changed things, plus I think she's starting to transition to just one nap a day....poor Anthony! I'm still trying to get back in the habit to see if she just needs to readjust from all the changes or if this is really a permanent change. She really missed having her grandparents around the first two days away from them, walking around the house asking "Lola?" "Lola?" (as in, where is....) 2009 was a whirlwind of a year indeed, and we ended it with an exclamation point for sure. We're looking forward to a calm few months ahead and to watching our baby girl continue to unfold at lightning speed into a young girl. It is unthinkable at this point to me that a year ago (which went by in a blink) we were in the depths of the unknowns, awaiting our baby, and just one year from now, a 2 and 1/2 year old will be in our midst. The best part of being an "older" parent is that I am keenly aware of just how much time does fly, and each year does so at a faster rate than the one previous. I've yet to find a way to slow it down, so instead I'll just try to focus on being present and grateful for each and every moment and stage. Happy New Year, indeed.
This blog started as an online journal of our trip to Hanoi, Vietnam to pick up our daughter Beatrice (Hanh Minh), and now chronicles our journey through life together as a family of three....
Saturday, January 2, 2010
Taking a bite from the (frozen) Big Apple
We had a great time in New York City, despite the cold and despite getting lost in NJ, circling around a 5-mile radius of Newark Airport for two and a half hours searching for our hotel. We met up with Anthony's cousins Liza and Tony and their families, and the group of fourteen of us walked 5th Avenue from Times Square to Rockefeller Center, visited St. Patrick's Cathedral and, the next day, some of us headed to the Children's Museum of Manhattan. Beatrice was bundled up like the Michelin Man in an effort to keep her warm. Since we're home, we've been laying low due to a combination of not feeling great, more snow falling, and being just plain worn out. I took down the tree when we returned and cleaned house trying to get a semblance of normalcy again. Anthony and I enjoyed a quiet New Year's Eve, watching a video, and heading to bed before ten o'clock. Such is our lives these days and believe me, that's not a complaint. Yesterday we went to church, then went to my aunt's home for a couple of hours, then visited some friends here in town. I'm overwhelmed by the thought of going back to work in 2 days. It's been a wonderful vacation. Beatrice has changed so much in a couple of weeks. She has gone with the flow with all of the people around, crowds in the city, changes of schedule, naps on the fly, different foods, everything. The only bad part is that she's completely out of the habit of napping twice a day or napping in her crib. Sleeping with Lolo and in carseats has really changed things, plus I think she's starting to transition to just one nap a day....poor Anthony! I'm still trying to get back in the habit to see if she just needs to readjust from all the changes or if this is really a permanent change. She really missed having her grandparents around the first two days away from them, walking around the house asking "Lola?" "Lola?" (as in, where is....) 2009 was a whirlwind of a year indeed, and we ended it with an exclamation point for sure. We're looking forward to a calm few months ahead and to watching our baby girl continue to unfold at lightning speed into a young girl. It is unthinkable at this point to me that a year ago (which went by in a blink) we were in the depths of the unknowns, awaiting our baby, and just one year from now, a 2 and 1/2 year old will be in our midst. The best part of being an "older" parent is that I am keenly aware of just how much time does fly, and each year does so at a faster rate than the one previous. I've yet to find a way to slow it down, so instead I'll just try to focus on being present and grateful for each and every moment and stage. Happy New Year, indeed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment