Monday, January 11, 2010

Carnegie Hall, here we come!



Here's a sample of Beatrice's "singing," her latest talent debut. It started in church on Sunday. We purposefully sit right next to the folk band, as their music drowns out her/our subtle noises, and it keeps B. entertained for much of the mass. She just loves any and all music and even seems to have an "ear" for it, as much as a 1 1/2 year old can that is. She still asks to play the piano almost daily, and quickly signs "more" when I stop singing to her (she's the only person who wants more!) She has taken to watching concerts on PBS, and applauded spontaneously last week after an opera singer's aria during an Andre Rieu special. Cracked me up. She loves watching anyone play any instrument live and her head immediately turns when a new sound starts in, like last week at church when a rain stick was added in, she immediately responded. Same thing with the flute. Anyway, this past Sunday I noticed she was "singing" right along as I sang for many songs. Tonight, putting her to bed, I started humming a lullabye and she joined right in, so I promptly got the camera to capture a bit of it on record.



Above are a couple of other photos that were in the camera yet to be downloaded. One is of her beloved purple blanket (being used as a burka in this photo), her first and only comfort item. The other was taken during another pre-bathtime naked stint. Anthony once played (sax) a gig with his college band in the buff, now Beatrice is showing off her artistic skills while nude. Like father like daughter! What I will always remember about this moment though is that it was taken about two seconds before she peed right on the rug. One other noteworthy thing going on with her of late is that she's very interested in numbers. She loves any and all books with numbers and counting in them, likes tracing the numbers and pointing to pictures one at a time as I count. She also has taken to carrying a Sharp pocket calculator around with her. Good grief, I think we have a future engineer on our hands! She only says the number "two" spontaneously after I start with "one," but can repeat the others somewhat understandably up to ten, with "nine" seeming to be a personal favorite and the best pronounced. She gets lots of practice with her "n" sounds with saying "no no " a hundred times a day. Oh yeah, one more thing, I gashed my left calf to the left of my kneecap after school today with a hunk of glass sticking out of the garbage bag as I was putting the trash/recycling out. I ended up with four stitches and am just fine but I learned a couple of new things about Beatrice through this. First of all, she had a keen sense that something was wrong. I stayed ultra-calm, didn't yell, swear, or cry (which makes it a different afternoon than most :) but her reaction to the situation was amazing. She just watched me intently, stayed very quiet, and kept a little distance from me until Anthony arrived home. At that point she wanted to be on my lap. When I came home later and showed her my wound, while Anthony uttered "yuck!," she stared very carefully and interested, wanted to touch it, and was just plain fascinated. She then proceeded to lift up her pant legs to check to see if her legs looked like that and seemed disappointed that they weren't. Anyway, I'm just fine, she's fine, and if the accountant/engineer/nudist camp owner/artist/musician careers don't pan out for her, she may just end up in medicine.

No comments: