This blog started as an online journal of our trip to Hanoi, Vietnam to pick up our daughter Beatrice (Hanh Minh), and now chronicles our journey through life together as a family of three....
Monday, January 18, 2010
Beatrice, meet Dr. King
I just read the I Have a Dream speech to Beatrice before putting her to bed. I have a book form of it that takes about ten minutes to read. She sat quietly through it, though there wasn't a picture anywhere, then refused to let me take it away when it was done, instead bringing it to bed with her and putting it under her head like a pillow. I intend to read this to her every year on this day. I defy anyone to read it aloud and not at least choke up. On the back cover there's a photograph of Dr. King dwarfed by a giant waving American flag. I showed her his photo and told her a few seconds worth of info. I told her his story has a sad ending that I'll tell her when she's older. How will I explain that? Today I feel keenly aware of all the sad lessons that Beatrice will someday learn. In due time she will learn about hatred, ignorance, violence, and all the 'isms. For now though I am grateful for this precious time and this age of wonder that is twenty months, a time when I am and I have all she needs, as well as all the answers. A time when a peek-a-boo brings utter bliss to her face, a bowl of noodles brings thirty minutes of joy, a new book offers endless happiness, a hug can comfort anything, and falling asleep between Mama and Daddy is pure ecstasy. These truly are the best of times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Enjoy this precious time of bliss. This foundation of love and security will help when she becomes aware (ready or not) of all the ignorance that exists in this world. She will always have what really matters - her mom and dad.
Post a Comment