Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Latest Obsessions



Here are the two books that fill much of Beatrice's time with me recently. The UNICEF book is one I've had for years, a duplicate of a school copy which I use for our International Week each year. The French book is a recent Christmas present from our friend "Uncle David." (We are going to Paris this summer, so he thought this would be appropriate, but at this point we're just focusing on the English words.)Each morning,I lift Beatrice out of bed and she immediately wants to get down to run to the landing where one of these books is awaiting her. She sits in the near dark, with her hair covering her eyes, and flips through it slowly, often staying on one page for many minutes. When I call her into the bathroom, ten to twenty minutes later, to get her changed and dressed, she often resists and/or insists on carrying the book (which she can barely do alone due to its size and weight) to the bathroom with her. I have to promise her that I will read with her after she's done getting ready to get her through. Honestly, it is amazing what a little bookworm we have, and we are thrilled about it. I see her receptive vocabulary increasing daily and I'm shocked at what she recognizes when she's asked to find things. That's pretty much her favorite thing with these two books in particular. Pointing at pictures, counting the numbers, having us say the colors, etc. Her expression is slowly but steadily increasing as well. She's using about 40 individual words on her own at this point. It is miraculous to witness this tiny little person use her mind and express her thoughts.

1 comment:

Marianne & Michael said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.