Easter 2009 was our first holiday as a family. We were in Hanoi and had Beatrice for four days before we took her to St. Joseph Cathedral for Easter mass, the church in which Anthony's paternal grandparents had been married in 1926, followed by the Sofitel Metropole for their chocolate buffet. I recall that day so fondly...... It was muggy and hot. Most of the men and women sat on different sides of the church. Beatrice slept through the service, in my sling. Some nuns came up to us after church, smiled, and stroked Bea's (sweaty) head. A few of the adoptive families and we went out for muffins and coffee after mass. We went to an awesome bookstore, the name of which neither Anthony nor I can recall, after the Metropole. Beatrice ate kiwi and pineapple at the buffet. The child who was attached to us for only about 96 hours already felt like she'd been ours forever. I used to miss and ache for Hanoi on a regular basis. It's been a while, but today I had a touch of that "homesickness" once again.
Here is her "silly face" back then, and today:

1 comment:
LUV all the clippies in her hair before. So striking at any age she is!
nancy
Post a Comment