Here are three shots of my family taken between 8:40-8:50 a.m. Sunday morning. Forgive the poor quality, the shades were down and I took off the flash so as to not disturb the sleeping beauties. Sula heard the noise and woke up, but didn't leave her bed (there's no door and she can come out whenever she wants). Beatrice has slept past 8:00 two mornings in a row and I'm loving it. The photo with her legs in a straddle is a classic favorite pose of hers. I wish I could videotape her all night and count the number of positions she assumes. When she's in our bed, she uses every square inch of the length and about 1/3 of the width moving around. The other two photos were taken tonight before bath time, first showing off her "battle scars" (and re-enacting the face) from getting blood drawn today at Yale Children's Hospital. Unfortunately, the first arm didn't flow well enough, so the second one needed to be tapped. My brother Dan told me recently that you're not really a parent until your child is sick. Well I think those ten minutes in the lab today count and I now qualify fully. There are no words for how I felt during that gut-wrenching time. The only good news is that minutes after it was done, Beatrice seemed to have forgotten about the whole thing. Anthony and I only wish we could! There's no problem, by the way, these are just precautionary tests for a child who spent 11 months in an orphange to make sure everything is okay. Here also she's showing off her toothbrushing skills, or at least toothbrush-sucking skills, as well as her yoga expertise. I asked the doctor why she curls her legs up and moves them around like a newborn and he basically said "because she can!" btw, for those of you born after 1972, insert "Mary Lou Retton" instead of "Olga Korbut" in the title. I was once shocked when I referenced Olga to a younger teacher and she looked at me blankly and said "who?" I said, "okay, Nadia Comaneci?" More blank looks. Ah, youth....
This blog started as an online journal of our trip to Hanoi, Vietnam to pick up our daughter Beatrice (Hanh Minh), and now chronicles our journey through life together as a family of three....
Monday, May 18, 2009
Olga Korbut, sleeping in....
Here are three shots of my family taken between 8:40-8:50 a.m. Sunday morning. Forgive the poor quality, the shades were down and I took off the flash so as to not disturb the sleeping beauties. Sula heard the noise and woke up, but didn't leave her bed (there's no door and she can come out whenever she wants). Beatrice has slept past 8:00 two mornings in a row and I'm loving it. The photo with her legs in a straddle is a classic favorite pose of hers. I wish I could videotape her all night and count the number of positions she assumes. When she's in our bed, she uses every square inch of the length and about 1/3 of the width moving around. The other two photos were taken tonight before bath time, first showing off her "battle scars" (and re-enacting the face) from getting blood drawn today at Yale Children's Hospital. Unfortunately, the first arm didn't flow well enough, so the second one needed to be tapped. My brother Dan told me recently that you're not really a parent until your child is sick. Well I think those ten minutes in the lab today count and I now qualify fully. There are no words for how I felt during that gut-wrenching time. The only good news is that minutes after it was done, Beatrice seemed to have forgotten about the whole thing. Anthony and I only wish we could! There's no problem, by the way, these are just precautionary tests for a child who spent 11 months in an orphange to make sure everything is okay. Here also she's showing off her toothbrushing skills, or at least toothbrush-sucking skills, as well as her yoga expertise. I asked the doctor why she curls her legs up and moves them around like a newborn and he basically said "because she can!" btw, for those of you born after 1972, insert "Mary Lou Retton" instead of "Olga Korbut" in the title. I was once shocked when I referenced Olga to a younger teacher and she looked at me blankly and said "who?" I said, "okay, Nadia Comaneci?" More blank looks. Ah, youth....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Michelle, it is so nice to see the new posts every day. Lily loves to look at new pictures of Bea. I remember when Shawn came home from the hospial. I was clipping his long finger nails and nicked his finger and drew blood. I cried like a baby, he wasn't phased a bit. I still remember it to this day, almost 17 years later and I still feel bad.
Post a Comment