I've been a bad blogger lately, simply because we're so stinkin' busy it's getting harder and harder to find/make the time! On Thursday afternoon, my colleagues surprised me with an incredible baby shower, complete with a very moving set-to-music slide show, balloons, amazingly generous and thoughtful gifts, yummy food, and lots of love. Anthony showed up with Beatrice who, as usual, stole the show and just couldn't have been any cuter. I had been asked during the winter about "were I to have a shower, would I want it before she's home or after" and I easily replied "after" since at that point I couldn't bear one more symbol of her with the uncertainties of when she'd come. It was such a joy to celebrate with her right near me and to have the people showering us see the smiling creature with whom we get to share our days. We are so, so lucky for me to have this job and with this group of fabulous folks. Here is a photo after we unloaded the car and Beatrice crawled around amidst the goodies (and the morning mail). Also a couple of her playing on the porch this weekend with a toy that sets off all sorts of bells and whistles if you put the balls in the right holes. Beatrice so does not get it, or so does not care for it, because she insists on putting the balls anywhere BUT....she puts them where they come out, in her mouth, or just bangs them on places that are not the "target" spots. She had the most fun crawling under the chaise and banging two of the balls together. It's pretty hysterical to see the world of "toys" through her eyes. On the one hand, she's making "progress," now stacking blocks and seeming to understand a bit better how certain things work. Anything that talks to her or makes noise completely throws her off. We have a couple that even talk a minute or so after you've abandoned it, so she'll be on the other side of the room and all of a sudden Ella the Elephants says "spin me again!" and Bizou whips her head around to look, with a frightened look on her face, like "What the HELL was that???"
We saw my dear friends The Lallys briefly today, the first time since October and it was a full-circle experience introducing her to Susan, with whom I shared my adoption dream many, many years ago. It's funny because we spent many months assuming and planning for a son, but Susan always somehow knew I'd end up with a daughter. Bizou and I have been extra close this weekend. She woke up the other night around 10:30 p.m. and we brought her into bed. We hadn't gone to sleep yet so the light was on very dimly and Anthony and I just savored watching her. She woke up fully and was just beaming, positively radiant and smiling as widely as a human can smile, crawling all over me, chanting her "mum, mum, muh, muh mum" and touching my face. I've often said that I feel that if she could, Beatrice would crawl right inside of me. There are times she just can't get enough and it's simultaneously flattering and a bit scary. I very much expected to love a child as much as I love her, but I was completely unprepared to be loved back with such abandon, especially so soon. I'm sure one day soon she'll realize how unworthy I am of such admiration; however, until then, I'll soak up every moment of it!
2 comments:
You are more than worthy and deserve every second of it. Continue to love every minute, every day is a new adventure!
These posts are sooo wonderful! I hope you share them with her one day.
Post a Comment