Before Beatrice came home, one of the things I researched and angsted about the most was how she would sleep safely in our bed. We considered having her between us, on one side, we talked about ditching our bedframe and just putting the box springs and mattress on the floor, and looked at co-sleepers, some very expensive and the cheapest of which were not recommended for babies over six months old. In the end we moved the bed against one wall and decided she'd sleep between me and the wall. There was about a six-inch gap between the edge of the mattress, so I stuffed an old, very puffy down comforter in that gap so she wouldn't get stuck. Usually in the course of a night (or whatever fraction of the night she spends in our bed) Beatrice covers at least half of the area of our mattress. She is definitely a "mover and a shaker" and rolls, turns, kicks, headbutts, spreads her legs as widely as possible (and that's really, really wide), and basically tries to take over the entire space. However, recently, she's taken to confining herself into the six-inch gap and sleeping peacefully in that little nest. She used to cry when she got "stuck" in there and I'd immediately pull her out, but often lately I awaken to see this....
This blog started as an online journal of our trip to Hanoi, Vietnam to pick up our daughter Beatrice (Hanh Minh), and now chronicles our journey through life together as a family of three....
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Mind the Gap!
Before Beatrice came home, one of the things I researched and angsted about the most was how she would sleep safely in our bed. We considered having her between us, on one side, we talked about ditching our bedframe and just putting the box springs and mattress on the floor, and looked at co-sleepers, some very expensive and the cheapest of which were not recommended for babies over six months old. In the end we moved the bed against one wall and decided she'd sleep between me and the wall. There was about a six-inch gap between the edge of the mattress, so I stuffed an old, very puffy down comforter in that gap so she wouldn't get stuck. Usually in the course of a night (or whatever fraction of the night she spends in our bed) Beatrice covers at least half of the area of our mattress. She is definitely a "mover and a shaker" and rolls, turns, kicks, headbutts, spreads her legs as widely as possible (and that's really, really wide), and basically tries to take over the entire space. However, recently, she's taken to confining herself into the six-inch gap and sleeping peacefully in that little nest. She used to cry when she got "stuck" in there and I'd immediately pull her out, but often lately I awaken to see this....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment