Sunday, June 8, 2014

3rd weekend "down south"

Memorial Day weekend was the party in Queens, last weekend was blast of a tea party/bridal shower for Mary Elizabeth and Sam in southern CT, and this weekend we headed back to NYC to celebrate our 10th anniversary of our first date, which just so happened to be in Manhattan. Bea came along and it was a spectacular weather day.  We drove to Stamford and checked into the Hilton, then got on MetroNorth into the city. We started on 5th Avenue and visited the Lego store and FAO Schwartz, then took the subway to the East Village where we roamed around until dinner time at a fabulous Filipino restaurant.  It was just a perfect day.  We returned to the hotel in time for a pre-bedtime swim and whirlpool, and I think Beatrice is convinced she'd like to live in a hotel permanently.  She just loved, loved, loved every bit of it.  The heavy drapes darkened the room so much that we all slept in past 8:00, which was  a HUGE treat for me, especially after my International Week at school just ended and I was simply exhausted. This morning we ate at the hotel restaurant and headed home.  Beautiful weekend.  There have been so many things I've wanted to photograph or document, but I just haven't been in a picture taking mood for some reason.  Too much work I guess, and my own work has been far too busy with the end-of-the year upon me, but it's all good.  A couple of things worth noting.  Beatrice is in a huge copycat phase, which is driving Anthony and me insane but is kind of funny too.  She also had her 6-year physical and she weighed in a 36 lbs and 42 inches, the largest growth spurt she's had in one year since we got her.  She actually moved from the 2nd percentile to 4th!  One of her favorite phrases comes when I make a request/demand of her, she replies "okay my little.....and the finalwords range from "Miss Foronda" or "tutu head" or "cupcake" or any other number of descriptors.  Always makes me smile.  Her reading is coming along beautifully and she is writing words along with her sketches all the time now.  I'll have to scan one in at some point for posterity.  Last week she saw the assembly at my school with Russian dancers and the next day she had her headscarf on, her blanket turned into a sarong, and was dancing around like a Ukrainian candle dancer.  No pictures though. Tonight she was running around in her bathing suit under the hose and I decided to turn it into her bath.  At one point she had a full shampoo suds head and was running up and down the driveway.  I do wish I'd gone in an gotten the camera for that one. Six is a lot of fun and I am very much looking forward to the summer with this little lady.  For now, here she is filling a bucket of random Legos, and getting a pre-train cherry gelato at Grand Central before leaving the city:




No comments: