I've always wanted to go to Heifer's Overlook farm in Rutland, MA, and today was a dream come true. Not only did we go for a special event, but it was closer than I thought at less than an hour away, AND we met the Chazanoffs there for a few hours. A perfect fall day!
The girls sort of liked the sheep, goats, and cows, but mostly wanted to follow around the yellow lab (who had a pumpkin face painting by the way) around all day:
As usual, they were off to the races as soon as they saw each other! (Beatrice had mourned earlier today that we don't live right next door to Rachel, as she exclaimed "I wish I could move my whole world next to her.") Sweet, sweet friends:
Here's Bea outside the Tibetan house in the global village:
One of my favorite pics, which I titled "Mischief behind a Tibetan clothesline:"
It was a beautiful New England day with spectacular colors:
Outside the Ghanian home, Anthony taught Bea how to use the djembe:
She got the hang of it!
In Appalachia, the girls picked apples to use for cider making, as Bea sucked on honey from African bees:
I told you the colors were gorgeous! Here's Martha and Ryan looking right out of an L.L. Bean catalog:
What's a trip to Heifer without a cow picture?
After lunch and a horse show, we took a short hayride through a pumpkin patch:
We came home and emptied her special bag of goodies, including some fruit/vegetable stamp artwork, Polish paper cutting, Ghanian cloth printing, a hand-wrapped Guatemalan worry doll (and some yummy chocolate from there too), and an alpaca ornament from Peru for our Christmas tree this year. It was a great experience and she was quite enthusiastic about and adventuresome with all of it. I guess exposing her to International Week at my school each year primed her for this.
Of course there was fussing when we left, but she was comforted knowing that next weekend we head to NH to Rachel's new house for a sleepover party. Can't wait!




No comments:
Post a Comment