Monday, June 3, 2013

Daily Ritual

     Once in a while I'm keenly aware that things I take for granted on a daily basis may some day soon disappear, leaving me to forget those little rituals that are for now a big part of my day.  This morning at school drop-off, I had such a revelation.  Beatrice has often "fussed" at drop-off over the past year and a half.  Last year she would cry, then this year there would be a desperation grip or a whiny statement like "I waaaaant youuuuuuu."  The teachers reassured me that she always is absolutely fine once I leave, so I've tried to make the separation as quick as possible and head out the door, for both our sakes.  The past couple of months, she came up with a ritual that seems to satisfy her, and gives me a chuckle:  She holds her hands out for me to put a kiss in each of her palms (a la "The Kissing Hand"), she transfers each hand to each cheek, then she puts kisses in my hand, she asks for "Huggie!", then I turn around with my back to her at the doorway and she pushes me out the door like she can't stand another second with me.  I don't how she developed this, but it was on her own and it's been like this for several weeks.

    As I drove away I thought of the quote "I told you I loved you, now get out!"  My mom would often say this to me when I would hug her.  It was unlike her to be sarcastic, but I loved it.  It occurred to me that Beatrice's re-enactment is an expression of this quote.  So often she reminds me of my mother, it's amazing. The worst part is that I think this quote is from a movie or there's some story connected to it, but a google searched came up empty-handed and I can't call Mom today to learn the origin. Once again, I rely on this blog for Beatrice to have a written/photographic record of some of the mundane and important things of her life that she may someday long to know.

2 comments:

Maurice said...

Upstairs, Mom is smiling!

Marianne said...

She sure is !!!!
Marianne