Sunday, September 30, 2012

Searching for Chu Coi

Today was the day for Tet Trung Thu, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite holidays!  I don't know if it's the mooncakes, the fun it is to pronounce the holiday, the excuse to make pho on a nippy fall day, the fact that the celebration doesn't necessitate cleaning the house or buying presents (though we usually add a "moon" book to our collection each year on this day), the hokey parade we do around the house holding our .99 cent star lanterns bought years ago, the pumpkin pie that I added to the menu this year, or the read aloud about the guy whose wife planted dahlias near the banyan tree (or peed on it in a different version), against her husband's direct instruction, the result of which was him being launched up to the moon clinging to the tree's roots!  We go out there and search for him every year and tonight we were treated to a beautiful clear view of a bright harvest moon, to which we each sent a secret wish. Anyway, sometimes the amount of photos I take is inversely proportional to the fun I'm having, and that's what happened tonight.  After all the cleaning up was done, leftovers put away (looks like a pho lunch for tomorrow), Fulcos headed home, and Bea went to bed, I finally thought of grabbing the camera and least getting these two shots:

Thank you moon and thank you Tet Trung Thu for giving us a reason to celebrate together tonight as a family in an innocent, fun, simple celebration.


1 comment:

MSChaz said...

Arrrrggghhhh!!!!! I totally dropped the ball on this. :-( When we live back east we will have to crash your Tet festivities. :-)