Wednesday, August 4, 2010

It's My Potty and I'll Cry if I Want To....


B. started showing "readiness" signs some time in May, but I didn't want to make a serious attempt at potty training (or rather "learning" as the books call it) because I selfishly wanted the convenience of diapers while we were in France. So my plan for weeks has been to dedicate August, while it's still hot and before I head back to work at the end of the month, to a hard-core potty-training effort. I must say it's one of the most bizarre things I've ever done. I think perhaps it would be better done by a 9-year old than me who analyzes and overthinks, but for some reason she's moving along. I'm trying the boot-camp approach, (with tips from Nancy and others) which means partial to complete nakedness, staying pretty much in the house, and focusing entirely on the "task". Here's are the high and low points from the past 3 days :

Monday:
-spot carpet cleaner ready!
-5 potty-themed library books (read at least 30 times each)
-encouragement to sit on the potty, which never happened once per my suggestion, only when she wanted to, and she sat for an average of about 1.8 seconds each time
-one accidental success, which I made happen, but we whooped it up with congrats and rewards.
-we talked ALL DAY about the potty and what it's for and she talked it up too.
-all talk, no action. Not one ounce of liquid got into that dang pot all day.
- I went to bed discouraged, thinking maybe I was wrong and she's just not ready.

Tuesday:
-B. woke up giving me the "death glare" that I haven't seen in a while.
-First real success in the morning (bring on bite of chocolate)
-Within a couple more hours, MANY successes and I can see her face filled with unexpected glee as she looked down and felt her body doing something! Hope springs eternal!
-MANY misses....on me, on the floor, in the chair, in the driveway and often within 1 foot of the potty, so I was slightly encouraged but getting really tired of the house-and me- smelling like a nursing home.
-The wheels start turning...she's getting the concept, but can't get the timing just right. Even when she is successful, she jumps up with excitement before she's completely done, so I still end up on all fours scrubbing while speaking positive, loving, patient (lie) words.
- Out comes a plastic shower curtain to put in the main room we're in, in goes a load of laundry of dirty rags and clothes.
-Anthony came over and kissed me and thanked me for doing this because he said if it were up to him, her kindergarten teacher would have to deal with this.

Wednesday:
-She woke up concerned that her diaper was wet, but I reassured her and she got naked again. -ALL successes and NO accidents or even drips today!!!!!!
-Shower curtain gets thrown into the laundry. Carpet cleaner is optimistically placed back in the closet.
-We ventured out of the house at night for about 45 minutes and she went al fresco (under a skirt) and no problem.

It's going too well. It can't be this easy. I'm preparing myself for the big slide backward, but I'm obviously hugely encouraged and hopeful. I think we've at least set the wheels in good motion, but we'll see....

3 comments:

Nancy @ Ordinary Miracles & The Crazy 10 said...

YEA, Michelle!!! WAY TO GO!!!! SUCH an awesome mommy YOU ARE!!!!!! PEE IN THE POTTY IS SO SO SO AWESOME!!!! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Nancy @ Ordinary Miracles & The Crazy 10 said...

A comment just for B, because it takes a village...

YEA, B!!! WAY TO GO, B!!!! SUCH A BIG GIRL YOU ARE!!!!!! PEE IN THE POTTY IS SO SO SO AWESOME!!!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

MSChaz said...

Yay, Beatrice!!!!!! good for you!