This blog started as an online journal of our trip to Hanoi, Vietnam to pick up our daughter Beatrice (Hanh Minh), and now chronicles our journey through life together as a family of three....
Friday, December 4, 2009
Christmas Carol
Yesterday I did the single-mom thing from after school 'til bedtime as Anthony was teaching a class then went to yoga. Beatrice and I were on the couch, she nestled between my legs as we read her new batch of winter-themed library books one by one. I had the radio on in the background, set to the station which is playing Christmas music nonstop. I was in the middle of reading aloud when all of a sudden Josh Grobin's version of O Holy Night came on. Immediately my throat shut and I choked on my words. That Christmas song is my favorite, and one that has a rich tradition in my family. My maternal grandfather, who died when I was two months old, was the choir director and cantor at his church for years and years. My mom often spoke of his singing this song and she would choke up when telling about it or close her eyes and get quiet when she heard it being sung, like she was being transported to another place and time. She sang or hummed it to me countless times. My uncles had a barbershop quartet and they sang an a capella version of it, half in English and half in French, at my brother Dan's wedding ten years ago which was one of the most beautiful musical performances I remember. My uncle Charlie has soloed this piece at midnight mass numerous times. My mom's extended family are all singers and we sing carols together Christmas night. We joke through Partridge in a Pear Tree and Here Comes Santa Claus, inevitably miscount the number of "pum's" in Little Drummer Boy, and no one can ever remember the words to O Tannenbaum or Aulde Lang Syne. But, when O Holy Night comes on, it is sacred and the "fall on your knees" or "peuple a genoux" refrain is powerful every time. It is that rich in Archambault tradition, my maternal bloodline. My mom died seven years ago this past September. Hard to believe. There was a time when I thought I could not possibly have a child without her around, that it would be too painful to NOT have here to watch her grandchild grow. Now I have a daughter, an incredible daughter. My mom was an amazing "Memere" to the two grandchildren she got to know, and I know that the three who have joined the family since her death have a less quality life because they do not have her in it. I was born on Christmas and it was our holiday, my mom's and mine that is. She was a December baby and she gave birth to two others. Each year she would recount the story of my birth to me and how we spent Christmas Day together, just the two of us. She told me, as a good mother should, that it was the best Christmas of her life. So this season is now one with mixed emotions for me, the time of year I miss Ma the most. How I wish she were here to share Beatrice's first Christmas and how I wish she could see me be a Mama. Yet yesterday somehow on that couch, Beatrice's memere was around, just for a moment. And so was my daughter, who is perfect to me in every way, as I was to my Mama. And I felt filled with the Christmas spirit, excited to pass on the deep and meaningful Christmas traditions to my child. And it all felt so right.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Now I'm starting my day with tears in my eyes...
Such a beautiful post.
Michelle, you know Ma is watching this Christmas, and she's smiling ear-to-ear!
Michelle -
I have had the pleasure and blessing to here your uncle's sing at St. Joseph Church since I can remember. Every year, I sit quietly in the dark of the church and sob as the song begins. Now I have the opportunity to sit with my two beautiful boys and watch how still they sit with their mouths open as we listen. That is all I ever wanted for Christmas. You are amazing.
Michelle, When you first took me to your mothers grave and began to cry, I knew she meant so much to you. All I could do is show you how much love I have for you. I could never replace your mother's love. I often think of what she might have been like and I look to you for those clues that come out through your relationship with our daughter. I often try to talk to your mother in my prayers and ask her to shower her love upon her daughter as you do to Beatrice. This Christmas, she will be with us celebrating our first Christmas as a family. As you mentioned she is already with us in those quiet and beautiful moments with the glow of the Christmas tree. I believe she would say that you have become quite a remarkable woman and loving mother and wife because that is who I have known you to become. Your mother was an amazing person to have created such an amazing woman that I adore and feel proud to be with each day. I love you.
Anthony
Post a Comment