Monday, July 6, 2009

We ~heart~ cherries!



Can a baby eat too much fruit? Based on the three diapers I've changed this afternoon, I think the answer is "yes" if the fruit in question is blueberries. Beatrice LOVES fruit. We haven't met one yet that proves that statement wrong: bananas, apples, pears, peaches, blueberries, strawberries, mangoes, kiwi, avocado (is that a fruit?), pineapple, tomatoes (which technically are fruit I think), watermelon, honeydew, canteloupe, and yesterday we introduced cherries, pit-removed of course. It was love at first taste and she grunts loudly as soon as the bag comes out of the fridge. One of the things I looked forward to when waiting for Beatrice was introducing her to fruits and vegetables during summertime since she could get a lot of variety and have it be fresh and tasty. I am so, so, so happy that she enjoys produce, and I only pray it doesn't change like many people tell me it will. I never liked veggies as a kid, I think in part because most of what we had was canned, and and my mom never bought much variety of fruit, so I was limited to apples and bananas for the most part. One teacher's salary feeding a family of seven in the 70's doesn't necessarily afford for loads of fresh produce. I do remember loving fresh green beans from Farmer Joslin's garden in the summer and I would eat them until my mother made me stop. I can't help but wonder if things would've been different had I been offered fresh fruit and veggies. We are off to the farmer's market where we go once or twice a week to "see what the farmers grew this week." I really hope that Beatrice develops into a lifelong healthy eater.

**UPDATE** Add raspberries to the list....she snagged three of them right out of the container on the way in from the car.

1 comment:

Moe said...

"Beatrice Loves Fruit".....and she looks good wearing it too!

;)