Monday, August 22, 2011

Why are the final days of vacation like water in my hands?

What a whirlwind these 8 1/2 weeks have been. My vacation is swiftly ending, as in two more days, and I need to tie up loose ends, doing things like posting recent pictures to this blog! Adding some Quikcrete to our steps, and cleaning the house are on the "to do" list too, but I'm starting with the stuff I enjoy...

Here are some pics from my aunt Alice's 80th birthday party, where it was party time for B. with cousins again, and a couple videos of her dancing with her Dad at a recent concert in the park in town. They are dark and I need to figure out a way to lighten them up, and one of them needs to be rotated, but I knew if I waited until I did those things, they may never get posted at all. Apologies for the quality, but if you hit the "full screen" icon you might get a gist of why they just make me smile. And I had to include one of her day at the pool last weekend where everything was heavenly until she jumped in with no flotation devices. I wasn't there to see it, thankfully, and she is 100% fine, but still I've had nightmares this week about it.

End note: While I'm typing this, Beatrice is "going to sleep." I always tell her before I leave the room what I'm going to do while she falls asleep, and tonight it was "put some things on the blog, empty the garbage, and make biscottis for the party we're going to tomorrow." She just ran out and in a panicked voice said "May I lick the spoon?? Don't lick the spoon! Maybe tomorrow morning when I wake up I can lick the spoon?" (I respond that I'll save it for her) "Mom, DON'T lick it because it's my favorite spoon!!!" I thought she loved baking, but I guess it's just the final part of the process that truly matters to her.

In the pool with Daddy and Uncle Dan...minutes before the drama
Big hugs on Sunday for cousin Angela!
Enjoying her inaugural game of Duck, Duck, Goose!
Beatrice is just in love, deep love, with her cousin Kristin Michelle
Mischievous grin
Playing with uber-patient cousin Erik, who she referred to as "the doggie" all week
"Cuttin' the rug" with Daddy

"X" marks the spot.....(this picture might help explain how Beatrice became aware of skin color this summer!)


Finally, this is how I found her in her bed at 9:25 p.m. as I'm finishing this post:
that's her prized-possession, her blanket, rolled up in a ball and stuffed into her nightgown. Sometimes she pretends it is clothing, a hat, a ball to throw, a picnic blanket and, gulp, a "baby in her belly." (Hopefully that blanket and her imagination will satisfy that need for at least another 25 years!)

p.s. when I showed this picture to Beatrice the next morning, I asked her what that was and she was unsure. I asked if it was a baby in her body and she said "no, umm, I think I baked a batch of beans." Oh how I will miss spending my days with this imaginative, talkative, sensitive, truly funny girl...for another ten months anyway....

No comments: