As of yesterday, the next phase is upon us....the "why?" phase. Here's a sample conversation that occurred this morning during mass, or actually in the bathroom stall during mass:
B: (pointing to the wall) What that shape?
Me: Those are squares.
B: Why those squares?
Me: Because there are four equal sides, and whenever there are four equal sides, it's called a square.
B: What it made of?
Me: Ceramic tile, I think.
B: Why that made of "samik tie-yoh?"
Me: Because ceramic tile is strong and pretty so it makes the wall look nice and keeps it strong. (She's already stretching my knowledge of carpentry big time)
B: Samik tie-yoh strong?
Me: Yes, very strong?
B: Why it strong?
Me: So that it can hold walls up.
B: (looking at the floor) What that?
Me: That's a (small and oddly shaped) garbage can.
B: What garbage can made of?
Me: Metal
B: Why garbage can made of metal?
Me: Because metal is strong and is good at holding garbage.
then later...heading out of church....
B: It rainin'! run, run, run!
Me: Yes it is raining.
B. Why it rainin' mama?
Me: Because the clouds are full of water and too heavy so the water has to fall down and fill the rivers back up (already stretching my memory of earth science)
B: Why clouds full of water and get heavy?
Me: Because of evaporation and the water cycle. That's one of the exciting things you'll learn more about in school some day (code for Mama doesn't know any more that what's been said)
B: Why we not runnin; mama?
Me: Because it's a little slippery and I don't want to fall. Anyway, WHY do we HAVE to run?
B: Because it RAININ'!!! (as in...duh, what a silly question!)
When the shoe is on the other foot and I ask her "why?" -here is the new answer I've been getting: "I dan't tell you. It's a 'priiiiiize!" (aka "surprise") Or, another favorite of late: "I din't knooooooooow" said in a very "valley girl" fashion. Drama, thy name is Bea.
1 comment:
Oh Michelle... I thought you knew the answer to all of these why questions and more is.... "BECAUSE I SAID SO!!!!" :-)
Post a Comment