Thursday, October 14, 2010

Closing one door, Opening another



We found out recently that our 2x/week childcare situation, which started in late August and has been pretty much perfect in every way, is ending at the end of the month. Judy and Juan have bought their first home, unfortunately for us an hour away. I was so worried about Beatrice being able to stay away from us and she did so fairly seamlessly with "Tita Judy" and Jill. She starts saying goodbye to me or Anthony before we even get out of the car, screams with delight up to Jillian who awaits her at the door "I coming Jill! Wait! I coming!" and then these beauties run off together to play as soon as we enter the house. When I pick her up at 4:00, I almost always get tears or arguing because "I not ready! No leave yet! Want stay play right now!" We knew there was a very good chance it would be short-lived, but we risked it because Judy was such a great match for Beatrice. My grief will be eased by the fact that we have "Uncle Erik" taking over in a couple of weeks. Erik and Martha are close friends and the parent of adorable Ethan. They are the ones who first saw B. in the U.S., since they picked us up at the airport when we arrived, and Erik is the first male besides her daddy who she fell in love with. They visited yesterday afternoon and honestly the way she looks at him brings me to tears. Erik is a SAH dad, at least until the spring, so we're hoping this will work out until the end of this school year. Then I will be home again for the summer and she will start (gulp) preschool next September. So B. will go from looking up to a 3-year old girl to being a patient and wonderful playmate and role-model (I can hope, can't I?) to a 15-month old boy. We are just so lucky to have these wonderful adults in our lives to be part of our "village" to help raise our daughter.

No comments: